Travel Team Tryouts
Sunday, November 10 | 3-5 pm
What is the RSL?
Virginia Regional Select League (RSL) is an inline hockey travel-lite program between teams across the region. Participating teams consist of current, past and future local house league players competing in elementary, middle and high school divisions. The RSL season begins the beginning of December and runs through February. Teams generally compete in 5 home and 5 away games with an end of season tournament.
Top of Virginia Hockey Alliance participates in the RSL league with its travel program, the Winchester Warriors.
Our Elementary Winchester Warriors team competed in and won the 2018-2019 RSL title last season and we are excited to expand our RSL Warriors program to include an Elementary and Middle School teams.
Due to limited enrollment of High School students in the house league, we are not able to field a team at this time, but the program is actively looking at options.
Winchester Warriors travel teams will consist of participants who either have played or plan to play in at least one local house league session within a year of the start of the RSL season (November 1, 2019). Top of Virginia Hockey Alliance reserves the right to issue exemptions to complete RSL rosters; however, the intent of the RSL program is to reward house league players with an opportunity to compete at a higher level against other regional clubs.
There will be RSL Warriors tryouts on Sunday, November 10 at Winchester Sportsplex for each of the divisions. There is no fee to tryout for the RSL Warriors.
• Elementary school (Grade 5 and below) 3:00 – 4:00pm (Parent meeting at 3:00pm)
• Middle school (grade 6, 7 and 8) 4:00 – 5:00pm (Parent meeting at 4:00pm)
• High School (grade 9, 10, 11, 12) - TBD
Note: Female players are eligible to play one grade level down (example: a 6th grade female can play in the Elementary division)
(As noted above, there will be a 15 minutes parent meeting during each division’s scheduled tryout to go over expectations and requirements for being a member of the RSL Warriors)
If your player wishes to try out for the Warriors YOU MUST RSVP to the Warriors Program Coordinator, Melissa Veach by 5:00pm on Friday, November 8th.
Send the following information:
• Player’s Name
• Preferred position
• Availability for the November 10th tryout (If your player is not available but she/he would like to tryout you still need to RSVP by November 8th).
Note: High School players still need to RSVP, so the program has your information and can gauge further interest.
Tryouts will consist of various skill trials to evaluate your player(s) ability. There will also be a scrimmage during the tryout.
A panel of coaches will evaluate and decide on your player(s) overall fit for the RSL Warriors team, considering the player’s abilities, position strengths, team play, and their conduct.
Know that just because your player(s) played on a Warriors team in the past does not mean they will make the team again this season. We will roster no more than 10 skaters and a goalie on a single team. Alternate goalies and skaters may also be rostered. Alternates will be required to attend practices, but will not dress for games unless requested to play in advance.
Know that fielding teams in each division for the RSL Warriors will depend on several factors:
The number of RSL teams in that same division from other regional programs. So just because we have enough players to make a team does not ensure we will field that team.
The number of coaches we have to coach teams. We cannot have teams without coaches, so if you think you might be interested in coaching – please communicate with Melissa Veach your interest in applying for a coaching position. We will have an application process to select qualified coaches. Coaches will be required to obtain a valid AAU membership ($14/yr), if you do not have one yet.
The number of qualified players to make a team in each of the divisions. We want the players and families to have an enjoyable experience, thus we must consider the overall skill level of the potential team when making a final decision if we field a team in that division.
- If your player wants to try out for the RSL Warriors you are committing to the following requirements during the season:
- The RSL season is expected to run from the beginning of December through end of February (13 weeks).
- Your player will practice 1 day per week at the Winchester Sportsplex (target 12 practices in total). Practice days will be finalized after final team selection taking into consideration player’s schedules and Sportsplex availability. Currently we are looking at practice availability for Friday evenings, Sunday late afternoons, or the occasional Tuesday evening. Practices will be 1-2 hours and consist of team and skill development.
We generally play 10 regular season games (5 home / 5 away) and a final RSL league tournament. Additional games can be added based on team availability and budget. We will play games on Saturdays and Sundays, sometimes double-headers. There is an on-going effort to conduct three RSL showcase indoor jamborees that guarantees three games for each event. These jamborees will count towards our 10-game season however; this is still a work in progress. The game schedule will be drafted after the RSL league announces the final team list. We will take into consideration the availability of players on Saturdays/Sundays to maximize participation at games.
You may travel for RSL games to programs in Richmond, Ashland, Ashburn, Warrenton, Madison, Fredericksburg, Dulles and possibly Martinsburg WV.
RSL Warriors may also play in other travel-lite and club tournaments across the region.
- AAU Membership - Players will be required to obtain a valid AAU membership ($14/yr), if you do not have one yet.
- Team Jersey Fees - Approximately $100-$125 (Warriors home/away jerseys including pants). If your player has a jersey, you will not need to purchase a new jersey. Alternate goalies/skaters are not required to purchase a jersey and would be provided a loaner if requested to play in a game.
- RSL Fees - $250 to $275 depending on final team size and includes practice rentals, home game rentals, final tournament, and referee fees. Coaches children and goalies will receive a 25% discount. Alternate goalie/skater fees are $100 to participate in practices. There is no additional fee if an alternate is requested to play in a game.
If you cannot commit to the program requirements above, your player(s) should not attend tryouts. By RSVP’ing to tryouts you are committing to ALL of the above requirements.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Melissa Veach.
Thank you for your support of the RSL Warriors program!